Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My King

In looking over the past handful of posts I have made, I see that I have made liberal use of videos. And though I still have an arsenal of videos to share with the world, I will refrain from videos this morning. Instead, you get my sometimes incoherent words.

Last night I turned on the TV to see who the guests were on the late night talk shows. Although Kate Beckinsale's English accent on Jay Leno is always pleasant, it was the guest after Kate who was, to me, more interesting... Enter Sean "P. Diddy" Combs. Like all celebrities who chat with Leno, his goal was to promote himself. In this case, the occasion for the visit was the release of his Diddy's fragrance: "I am King." Now, putting my confusion about celebrity endorsed fragrances aside, I listened to Diddy's marketing piece for his cologne. It went something like this:

"Sure, men get the big piece of chicken in the bucket, the head seat at the dinner table and maybe their own chair in the living room, but they never get treated like the King they are. I think it's time for men to take pride in the good things we do for our wives, families, etc. and treat ourselves like Kings."

He went on about how in this world, men are Kings and should, in an appropriate scale, be treated as such, or at least treat themselves as such.

Now, given that my mind is more or less in the Christmas spirit, when I hear "king" I generally sing in my head, "... glory to the newborn King!" Which leads me to the issue on my mind.

Without getting too much into English grammar, I think there is a definite distinction between "a king" and "the king." One is general and one is singular, superior. "I am King" (the fragrance) seems to be the latter. I mean, Diddy's cologne isn't called "I am a King."

And while I don't necessarily fault Diddy for the name of the cologne, I do recognize that the idea that we deserve to be referred to and treated as "King" is a microcosm of the way in which the general public sees self-worth. Though I don't know how literally to take "I am King" and its subsequent connotations, I do believe one King is sufficient.

Cue Lecrae:
"Lets establish that He's Israel's King
So in Matthew 1 and 1 and on the 1:17,
We see His lineage and trace way back into time
That legally He was fine in the Davidic line
And genealogically He's still King of the Jews
Cause the Book of Luke exposes genetical clues
See a true King though He didn't do it in the physical,
He brought a new covenant to free 'em in the spiritual
And after sometime, Wise men from the east
came looking for the new born king in the streets
I know some of you dudes may cruise a 4Runner
But Christ had the dude He used as a forerunner
And no promoter gunna cut it like the John the Baptist
You need publicity stunts so you datin' an actress
A real King has somebody bringin' the news
That his kingdom's ahead and they ain't fit to lace up his shoes
So tell me who's the one anointing all these so called kings?
They all self proclaimed and man, that's a dangerous thing"
- Lecrae

No comments:

Post a Comment