Friday, January 9, 2009

You Knew I Would

Before I say anything else, I must admit the OU played very well, much better than I expected. Gresham definitely has a bright career ahead of him, Stoops on the other hand is struggling.

However, in the end, the SEC are back to back to back National Champions. And the OU loss only furthers my case that the SEC is a better conference than the Big XII. Lets look at a couple of figures:

First, lets take a look at just this year, the 2008-09 season. Besides SEC beating the Big XII in both head to head meetings, the "beloved" Big XII South division went 1-3 this bowl season with the single win being Texas beating the runner-up in a pretty weak Big Ten conference with 16 seconds left and needing every inch on a 4th down in the 4th quarter to stay alive.

Secondly, lets look at the BCS era. Simply put, out of the 9 BCS Championship games played the SEC has won 5 (over half); the Big XII has won the second most with 2. The SEC and Big XII overall Championship game records are 5-0 and 2-3 respectively.

We will see if in the years to come the Big XII provides a case, but for now I am confidant the this argument shall be put to rest.

4 comments:

  1. What about the Pac10. Don't they have an argument that they are the best conference since they were 5-0?

    Jdog

    ReplyDelete
  2. well Jdog, the PAC-10 surely throws a kink in all this.

    to argue which is better between SEC and PAC-10 is a different argument all together. i would still argue SEC over PAC10 only because PAC10 has only sent 1 team (twice) to the big game and won once. That compared to the 5 SEC wins.

    but really the argument on this post was specifically between Big XII and SEC.

    any debate on that subject, jdog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, i hate both conferences like I hate healthy food. I realize they are good but I want nothing to do with any of them. SEC fans are way too arrogant and BIG XII fans are uneducated. I love this blog though.

    JShizzle

    ReplyDelete
  4. if my defense of the SEC comes across as arrogant, I do apologize. i happen to live deep in the heart of Big XII land and hear daily the greatness of it. my SEC defense certainly doesn't come unsolicited or unprovoked.

    ReplyDelete